Friday, 3 June 2011

Life is a Vase of Roses

Roses in a Crystal Vase ~ photograph by me, 31 May 2011


I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.
~Emma Goldman

One may live without bread, not without roses.
~Jean Richepin
Flowers really do intoxicate me. ~Vita Sackville-West

These lovely roses are from my shamefully unkempt garden.

They are the first roses of the summer.

I have now decided that instead of celebrating the first of January
as the first day of the year,
I will celebrate the first day the roses bloom.

Get your champagne flutes out.

5 comments:

  1. I love roses too, inspired idea to relocate the first day of the year. Today was so warm that the smell of our roses in the garden filled the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I tried a new way of posting comments - it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, how lovely to see you in my comments again! I missed you.

    It is unbelievably warm down here on the coast...25C tomorrow but I have been thinking how miserable London must be and am thankful.

    Instead of champagne, however we have decided to toast roses with Prosecco. It seemed so summery ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea, Robin. It is when the year really starts anew. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers! Sweepyjean!! May your days be filled with summer roses!

    ReplyDelete