Thursday, 12 May 2011

The Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman



Read from April 15 to May 11, 2011


I have had this book on my shelf for ages. Unbelievable that I have taken so long to start it asI am such a huge fan. I had so many library books to read. So, anyway, I have finally started it. It's like opening a really fabulous bar of chocolate that you have been saving for a rainy day, crisis, divorce, etc. ...

12 May 2011

I have just finished this outstanding book! Now that there is no more left read, I have very reluctantly allowed my consciousness to leave the world of Henry and Eleanor. This was made easier with the knowledge that Richard the Lionheart by SKP is coming out in the future.

I cannot praise this book highly enough. I have read all of her books but this is definitely one of her best. Her confident and eloquent grasp of time, place and character is a joy to experience. Even if I did at times feel somewhat obsessed by the need to read this story. I won't go into a lot of detail about the plot as those reviewers before me have done a much better job than I could. I will say for those of you who don't know. That this book follows WHEN CHRIST AND HIS SAINTS SLEPT and TIME AND CHANCE.

I find myself still grieving for Henry II and so saddened at the manner of his death. I cried even though I knew what was coming. Do yourself a favour; allow yourself to be obsessed as I was by this story, by these larger than life personalities and Sharon Kay Penman's gorgeous prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment