Monday, 4 April 2011

Unmasked ... but, it's not a proper blog, is it?

Self Portrait: Robin in Her Garden ~ Photography by me


 As you all know, I have accepted a challenge of 30 blog posts in 30 days. And, yes, I know. I have already fallen behind, as this is just #2. Weekends seem to be so difficult for me to structure. I usually just surrender myself to the loss of time and rather blindly slow dance through them. However, I can report that after a few hours of no broadband connection, the Wonderspouse has installed a faster, stronger wireless modem. Thank you to him and to the lovely people at Virgin.

This morning after spending a day and a half away from my laptop, I discovered the most delightful comment on one of my blog posts. At the risk of sounding rather self-absorbed, I must share part of it with you. Someone wrote, “You've given us such a sense of you.” It has renewed my rather flagging spirit. Thank you to Alain.

As I am sure you already know, my blog is completely formless, lacking any real purpose other than being a place for me to share bits of myself, my family, my life... This has always concerned me. I started my first blog several years ago on My Space. As I am an American expat, I thought it would be a good way to share photos and day to day happenings, adventures with friends and family that live so very far away. Frankly, I'm not sure many friends or family read my blog, but it is here for them and well, everyone, should they wish to visit it.

Needless to say, I rapidly became disenchanted with My Space (probably sometime after my first attack of malware while logged in). As you know, I am not a big fan of Mr. Murdoch and always felt somewhat unclean using a product owned by him. Yes, this ageing hippie chick does still believe in the power of the consumer. Well, maybe not believe, exactly, more like hope, but old habits die hard...

After experimenting with Twitter (if it's good enough for Mr. Stephen Fry it's good enough for me), I discovered blogger. Although, I have tried other blogs and still play on them occasionally, I always come back to this one. This is where I come to bare my soul or just to say, “Look at this cool thing I found, saw, thought, wish for, etc.” I try to adapt a certain persona on my other blogs but this is my everyday blog, where I come unmasked. However, in my head was always a voice that said, “But it's not a proper blog, is it? You don't actually sell anything. You don't provide a service of any kind. You're not particularly a great wit. Your poetry isn't real poetry, Your photography isn't real photography. Your camera isn't even a real camera, etc. etc., etc.”

But today someone has said, “You've given us such a sense of you.”

Today I am a happy woman.

Tomorrow... well, tomorrow I might write a poem...



The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another.  ~James Matthew Barrie

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.  ~e.e. cummings


1 comment:

  1. I challenge anyone to define a proper blog, surely they have mulitple personalities. I for one do not like blogs where the main aim is to sell stuff (although I don't mind if they just point the way). But I do like blogs that give the reader something of the blogger, however indirectly

    ReplyDelete