Friday, 1 April 2011

The Swan by Mary Oliver

from weheartit.com ~ found on http://beautyparadise.tumblr.com/page/2



This month is National Poetry Month in the US.

NPR posted this on their Facebook page, and as it sang its little song quite nicely with my blog post for today, I thought I would include it: 

The Swan

Did you too see it, drifting, all night, on the black river?
Did you see it in the morning, rising into the silvery air -
An armful of white blossoms,
A perfect commotion of silk and linen as it leaned
into the bondage of its wings; a snowbank, a bank of lilies,
Biting the air with its black beak?
Did you hear it, fluting and whistling
A shrill dark music - like the rain pelting the trees - like a waterfall
Knifing down the black ledges?
And did you see it, finally, just under the clouds -
A white cross Streaming across the sky, its feet
Like black leaves, its wings Like the stretching light of the river?
And did you feel it, in your heart, how it pertained to everything?
And have you too finally figured out what beauty is for?
And have you changed your life?

~ Mary Oliver

2 comments:

  1. I've lingered here for a while, just enjoying the treasures you've reminded me of: Virginia Woolf, Loreena McKennitt, plum jam, NPR. You've given us such a sense of you - and another aging - no, constant - hippie connects.

    Robin - share your novel, now. Mine took 30 years too, but when I finally started working with other writers 18 months ago, it was the most rewarding experience I've ever had.

    Health! - Alain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alain.

    What a lovely comment. One of the very best I have received.

    Sometimes I worry that my blog seems somewhat pointless with no real structure or purpose. But, yes, it is and has always been merely an attempt to connect, to share a bit of myself.

    Will give some serious thought to sharing the novel. At the moment, that sounds a bit frightening... :-)

    Thank you, again.
    Robin
    xx

    ReplyDelete