Pages

Monday, 7 March 2011

Book Review: A Discovery of Witches


I am positively bereft. I can’t remember the last time a novel left me grieving so at the loss of it’s characters and unfinished story. I knew going in that it was the first of a trilogy. I also knew as the pages left to read became fewer and fewer that there was no way the story was going to be nicely wrapped up, however I was still emotionally unprepared for the intense feeling of disconnection.

This past Friday night, 4 March, 2011 I finished reading A Discovery of Witches.

As I have read some negative reviews, I can only assume A Discovery of Witches is not the sort of book these reviewers normally read. One does wonder why one would attempt to read something in a genre they find undesirable. So... if witches, vampires, daemons, mysterious manuscripts, alchemical mysteries and the struggle to discover how you, as a witch, or a vampire, or a daemon fit into the universal scheme of things does not interest you, then this is probably not the book for you. There is also a nice bit of romance, some delightful humour, days overflowing with magic, interesting locations and finally some characters that I not only (wonder of wonders) care about, but would genuinely like to know.

I, as you no doubt have already figured out for yourself, was completely enthralled. It truly was the most captivating book I have read in ages and cannot wait for the second installment due out in 2012. In fact, as I am having the hardest time finding something to follow it, I may just have to read it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment